An explanation of the 2024 Election for the City of Portland, Oregon (portland.gov) is summarized below:
- Every city office (Mayor, City Council, and Auditor) will be up for election in 2024. However, this just applies to the 2024 election. For future elections, the seats that are up for election will rotate.
- There will be twelve (12) seats on the City Council, instead of five (5).
- City Council candidates will run in one of 4 districts, instead of citywide.
- Of all the City Council candidates running, the top three (3) vote-getters in each district will each secure a seat on the Council, instead of just the single candidate who gets the most votes.
- All candidates, including for Mayor, City Council, and Auditor, will run under a new Ranked-choice Voting system, where voters will get to rank their candidates in order of preference.
- There will be no more Primary Elections. All candidates will run in the General Election using the Ranked-choice Voting method, scheduled for November 5th, 2024.
Here’s Portland’s explanation of Ranked-choice Voting: (portland.gov).